General Responsibilities of a Session Chair (Selected by IEEE BlackSeaCom Committee)
- Introduce the session, and then each author/paper-title before their video playback;
- Take chat questions from the Q&A panel during the presentation playback;
- Read the questions to the presenting author during the Q&A period with absolutely no delay on the allocated Q&A time slots;
- Conclude the session and check attendance;
- Make sure the time is strictly adhered to and does not extended past the allocated time (very important!!!)
Detailed Zoom Guide for Session Chairs
Initial Zoom setup:
Please install Zoom in advance.
For a stable connection to the meeting, please check the Zoom Webinar Best Practices and Resources.
Before a Session:
- Before the conference, presentation videos along with presenter vita will be made available on Google Drive.
- Please make sure to have the presenters’ vitas printed somewhere to introduce them timely before each presentation.
How to Join the Session:
- An invitation email will be sent before the session. You will be provided with the required credentials before the conference.
- Using the invite, you can join a Zoom session by clicking on the link to join the meeting.
During the Session:
- Please join the session at least 10 minute in advance, please test your microphone once joined so that the session can start on time.
- We recommend that you turn on your video to engage the attendees during the session introduction. This can be done by selecting video connection when joining a Zoom meeting.
- After introducing the session and the first presenter, we recommend you turn off the video so that the attendees can focus on the talk video.
- You can manage the attendee by clicking on the “View all attendees” link under the Participants panel.
Session Chair Responsibilities for Q&A Session
- As organizers, we would like to ensure a smooth and productive virtual conference.
- During the replay of presentation video, please keep track of the questions on the Q&A panel on the side-panel on the right of the Zoom window. View Managing Q&A During a Webinar.
- After the video play back, unmute yourself and the corresponding author/presenter only. Please make sure to ask orally the questions and according to the FIFO time they were first submitted. If there are not many questions, feel free ask some of your own.
- Sometimes the audience may need to clarify their question. In that case, it is upon the discretion of the Session Chair to unmute the attendee who placed the question to make clarifications.
- Please be mindful of the Q&A time limits! We cannot introduce delays on the predetermined slots of each session, it will push other sessions behind.
- After the presenter addressed a question, please indicate it is answered verbally.
- Please collect the unanswered questions to follow-up.
Conferencing, online and in-person can be exhausting! We need to take breaks. We will take breaks. Breaks are built-in to the schedule!
- Stand up and stretch, get a snack, come back refreshed!
- If you leave Zoom on, make sure that your microphone is muted during the break.